Post subject: NBN - I have a lot of questions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:50 am 

Hi Mods,

I received an email and sms to say that NBN is coming to my area (Tarneit, Vic) soon, and to pre-order now. However, I have a lot of questions that I'm hoping you can answer before I make my decision.
1. Can I keep my existing landline number? If yes, how do I arrange this?
2. Do I need a VOIP phone or will my existing landline phones still work?
3. Can I keep my current TPG username?
4. Can I choose where the ugly hardware is installed in my house?
5. Will this affect my TPG mobile plans? (2 x $16.99 pm)
6. At the bottom of the first page on the Critical Information Summary for the TPG NBN FTTN XXL BUNDLE it says:
Quote:
* Consists of peak (8:30am - 2:30am) and off peak (2:30am - 8:30am) monthly usage quota. Speed will be shaped for the period in which the monthly usage quota has been exceeded (peak and/or off peak). Downloads and uploads counted.
Yet under Monthly Data Quota (on the same page) it says 'Unlimited'. So, is it unlimited and NOT shaped, or limited and shaped? Remember, this is the XXL BUNDLE I'm talking about.
7. Are there any upgrade / downgrade fees? If I start on the 25Mbps plan and want to downgrade to 12Mbps, or the other way around, apart from the $10 pm plan difference, are there any other fees?

Cheers,

Mel

FYI - I'm currently on the Ultimate 8000 Unlimited plan, as I can't get ADSL2 in my area.

Post subject: Re: NBN - I have a lot of questions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:01 pm 

Hi Mel,

Good day.

1. Can I keep my existing landline number? If yes, how do I arrange this?
You can port (transfer) your phone number from Telstra, Optus, AAPT, Primus or Powertel to TPG. We may not be able to port your number in all circumstances, this includes failure to provide account details, or contractual obligations with your existing provider. If you are porting your number to TPG, inbound calling to your number will not commence until porting is complete which will take additional 1 to 5 business days after your TPG NBN service is installed.

2. Do I need a VOIP phone or will my existing landline phones still work?
- You can use your current telephone handset, however it will have to be plugged into the VoIP port on the supplied Wi-Fi Modem Router using a standard telephone cable.

3. Can I keep my current TPG username? - Yes

4. Can I choose where the ugly hardware is installed in my house? This would depend on the type of NBN that would be installed

5. Will this affect my TPG mobile plans? (2 x $16.99 pm) - No

6. At the bottom of the first page on the Critical Information Summary for the TPG NBN FTTN XXL BUNDLE it says:
Quote:
* Consists of peak (8:30am - 2:30am) and off peak (2:30am - 8:30am) monthly usage quota. Speed will be shaped for the period in which the monthly usage quota has been exceeded (peak and/or off peak). Downloads and uploads counted.
Yet under Monthly Data Quota (on the same page) it says 'Unlimited'. So, is it unlimited and NOT shaped, or limited and shaped? Remember, this is the XXL BUNDLE I'm talking about.
Monthly Data Quota for XL and XXL is Unlimited

7. Are there any upgrade / downgrade fees? If I start on the 25Mbps plan and want to downgrade to 12Mbps, or the other way around, apart from the $10 pm plan difference, are there any other fees?
There is no upgrade or downgrade fees for NBN, whether it's inside or outside the contract.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance. Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:38 am 

Thanks for your help, Abby. :)

Quote:
4. Can I choose where the ugly hardware is installed in my house? This would depend on the type of NBN that would be installed

In relation to this question, it's a single storey house on a standard-sized block, with underground power (ie no overhead cables). What else would you need to know to determine what type of NBN would be installed? When I enter my address on the NBN Bundles page to check availability (even though I received an SMS and email to say it's coming soon) the CIS for each of the plans all say FTTN, which I presume (rightly or wrongly) is Fibre To The Node.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:16 pm 

Hi Mel,

Yes. The type of NBN that would be installed is FTTN (Fibre To The Node). Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:07 pm 

Abby S wrote:
Yes. The type of NBN that would be installed is FTTN (Fibre To The Node). Thanks

Hi Abby ... does that mean that if I wanted to have the internal hardware installed in a central location in my house, theoretically it shouldn't be an issue (subject of course to any technical or logistic obstacles that we may not be aware of at this stage)?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:29 pm 

Hi kmajmet,

The NBN technician will just transfer the connection of the copper wire from the ADSL DSLAM at the exchange to the NBN node. It should just connect to your internal wiring, no changes there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:01 am 

Mar N wrote:
Hi kmajmet,

The NBN technician will just transfer the connection of the copper wire from the ADSL DSLAM at the exchange to the NBN node. It should just connect to your internal wiring, no changes there.

Hi Mar, just want to make sure I fully understand. The NBN modem can be plugged into any telephone socket in my house, is that correct? It doesn't need to be wall-mounted and I don't need a backup battery or any other new hardware whatsoever, just that NBN modem?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:55 pm 

kmajmet wrote:
just that NBN modem?

Hi kmajmet,
Yes, that is correct.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:01 pm 

Abby S wrote:
kmajmet wrote:
just that NBN modem?

Hi kmajmet,
Yes, that is correct.

Thank you so much for your help Abby and Mar. Your patience in answering my myriad of questions is much appreciated.

Now I'm heading I'm off to TPG's website to pre-order my NBN :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:22 pm 

No worries kmajmet. Feel free to post back should you need further assistance. Thank you :)